Monday, March 1, 2010

Sporting Hungriness



"I enter a nightmare from which I wake repeatedly only to find a greater terror awaiting me." (Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Scholastic Press, 2008, 374 pp. $17.99 Science Fiction/YA/ ISBN: 0439023483



Dahlings, this is a warning that organized chaos is about to start. Do not be alarmed the confusion will be properly handled by the end.

I hate this book! I love this book! There really is a thin line, honey. I want to read what happens next. Like a moth drawn to a flame, I must read the sequel.

Let me start with why I hated (wanted to anyway) this book. For the same reason that the classic The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell and the show Survivor make me cringe. The premise of pitting children against children to a fight to the death for food and other prizes is terrifying! I can just picture my little ones going at it for chicken nuggets!
But on a serious note, the news brings us a startling reality of actual kids fighting and killing each other over less. In a world of poverty, crime, war, waste and moral ineptitude it is no wonder that life is imitating art. This story is set in the future, however, I see a lot of parallels to our own dangerous present. Maybe Ms. Collins and other Sci Fi-ers are psychic.

The book overall is addictive. The waiting lists for Hunger Games at the public libraries are crazy. Teens are able to identify with whatever hunger exists in their lives. I do not like to limit readers, however, I feel that this selection would fare better with middle and high schoolers. I am always on the lookout for stories for my advanced fourth and fifth graders (who would probably devour this book), but I’ll let them duke it out with the parentals for permission. I feel that this book should be read by grades Seven and up. The descriptive details of the setting and story line are riveting. I also loved all the characters, even the fox-faced girl. While the author, Suzanne Collins, endears the readers to the plight of our heroine Katniss Everdeen, you can't help but root for the other children of the districts competing in the Hunger Games. In this case the title is not just for show. Twelve boys and twelve girls (a set from each of the twelve districts) are sent from their homes to compete in the sadistic Capital's twisted games. The Capital feels that it is owed retribution after the districts rebelled against them. I thought it was enough that they obliterated District 13, but no, it is demanded that twenty four children compete with only one to live to tell the story. Well Royal Readers, your Queen would never want you to rebel. After all it's good to be Queen. I have a lot of suggestions for how the Capital could gain favor. However, I'll let Suzanne continue with this addictive storyline. It is a fast paced read with more twists and turns than a roller coaster. I don't think Ms. Collins had a movie deal in mind (yes, dahlings she does) when she wrote Hunger Games, however she was crafty in plotting three stories-take that J.K.!

Science Fiction and Fantasy books are always causing a disturbance! They either make you think or think of thinking. These are the stories that most want to ban, but all want to read (if you know what I mean). Deep down inside resides an evil that we are tempted to let live.
If you must read this book, and you should at least once. You might as well continue with the rest of the series. Catching Fire and Mockingjay (due out in August). I feel that these stories are enough for you to try to digest. However, if you crave more read the classic The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell.

2 comments:

Kelly Bull said...

I must say WOW about your book talk this past week. You were stunning! You grabbed our attention from the start with your song and kept us wanting to know more as you told us enough about your novel to make us want to know more. Thank you!

Ms. Schaaf said...

How delicious and dangerous was your review of the Hunger Games. I too, had a problem with children killing each other for a game. Even though the kids did not want to participate-it was sickening that the adults on the council thought this game was okay. I first had a little difficulty reading it as the ethics of the game bothered me-but since I had to read it for class, the more I read the more I became intrigued.
I liked your analization of the chicken nuggets and your personal
responses. I might like to try that with one of my reviews-you were able to spout off, but not loose it. I have found one thing I like about Survivor- When I try something new in the kitchen or I over cook a food and my kids complain-I say' Just pretend you are on Survivor and this is all you have to eat. They get a good laugh at my expense and usually eat most of it.
Thank you for expressing your emotions-I felt some of them too, but you expreesed them so well in your review.