Monday, February 15, 2010

Behind You


"You do not die. Your soul steps out of your body, shakes itself hard because it's been carrying the weight of your heavy skin for fifteen years. Then your soul lifts up and looks down on your body lying there-" (Jeremiah 'Miah' Roselind, preface)


Behind You by Jacqueline Woodson Putnam Juvenile, 2004, 128 pp. $15.99 Romance/Teen/ ISBN-13: 978-0399239885

Tear jerker alert! Grab your tissues and get ready for a dramatic read! I love this story. It has everything. Star crossed lovers, accidental death, ghosts, and taboo issues! I salivate as I type this.

Our story, "Behind You", which is a sequel to "If You Come Softly" was written by Jacqueline Woodson, an established and well awarded African American author.

It takes us on a journey of Jeremiah 'Miah' Roselind who is now a ghost. In the first story, "If You Come Softly", Miah who is African American meets and falls in love with Ellie, a Jewish girl. The only thing this couple has to deal with is race. Their economic backgrounds (rich/rich), schooling (same private academy), etc. is pretty much the same. The shy quiet girl and the star basketball player premise is blah, but Ms. Woodson spices up the love story. Miah's divorced parents , Ellie's supposedly liberal parents (not so), a gay friend who isn't out yet, a dead grandmother, and a streetwise youth all come together after Miah is mistakenly shot and killed by New York's finest in Central Park. We learn through each character what happened and how they are coping with his death and their own lives. Did I mention the dead? Yes, even the dead have their say in this story. Especially Miah who cannot help but look 'behind' as each character keeps him drawn to the earth by their grief. His grandmother is a jewel as she tells him to leave the living alone and get on with his new afterlife. The author takes us on a year- long discovery as she weaves everyone's tale and brings them closer together. In telling each story, she brings the reader into relatable situations.

This book has been compared to stories like The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and movies like "Ghost" where the deceased are looking out and helping their loved ones. This is a definite teen read; and adults will like this moving story of young love as well. I also love the fact that Ms. Woodson did not drag her readers through endless pages of dribble. Reluctant readers will like the short chapters and realistic language and tone of the characters.

Royal readers, I must take a moment to say the problem I have with most African American Young Adult Literature is that it is predictable. Most stories are set in the hood and remind you of trashy talk shows. All black teens do not relate to this! This was not my reality either. I am glad that I could find another author besides Walter Dean Myers who touches upon other issues in the African American community. With renewed hope, I will be looking for more authors who dare to risk showing another side of African American life. For this reason, dear readers, I will be featuring Ms. Woodson in my Young Adult Author Pathfinder.



Royal Recommendations (click a book jacket):







Queenie






3 comments:

Delana said...

I too have noticed that there have been a great deal of negatives placed on blacks as well. I do appreciate the fact that not all authors expect the worst from the black culture/community.

Unknown said...

Hello again, Queenie! You had me reading this book from the very first quote you posted. It sounded like it could be the first line of a movie. Plus, my first thought was, "That reminds me of The Lovely Bones!" so I loved that you referenced that book later in your review.

Jacqueline Woodson an author who a lot of my kids really love, and I think that that's partially due to the concise nature of her stories. As you said, she doesn't go on and on with "endless pages of dribble," so her books are really accessible to kids who aren't ready for longer novels. Have you ever read Miracle's Boys? I just read it in school with a group of boys and I think they surprised themselves at how much they got into the story.

How do you choose your books? So far I've really liked your choices and I'm excited to see what you choose to review next!

Ms. Lyons' Moravia Park Libraries said...

Captivating quote drew me in! I am excited to read and then bring Behind You into my library at Westport. Westport serves a community that is 99% African American and do want to have available the rich variety of stories, not just the Walter Dean Myers. Thank you.